2.13.2008

A Week on the Wagon

This entry will be a little different from the wine-soaked entry I made on Mardi Gras day. That's right! Dave and I have made it 8 days without drinking a drop of alcohol.
This is actually turning out to be a very interesting study. First, I would guess in a week that we have saved somewhere between $80-100. That is mostly from eating out and not ordering $5 drinks and ordering a bottomless glass of iced tea instead for $1.50. Also, on the other nights that we drink wine at home, I imagine we would have gone through at least 4 bottles of wine. It sounds like a lot but 4 bottles in a week averages to about a glass a day each.

In my not drinking state, I have realized also how much alcohol works its way into my daily life. We have been through a weekend, a couple of stressful days back at work, and celebrating (Valentine's day would have always been a big drinking day for us). But just even that glass of wine after work seems oddly missing but not in a bad way. In some ways, not having to worry about the wine is just as nice as having it.

I do not consider us to be heavy drinkers by any stretch. We are mostly social, mild drinkers. It has just become more obvious to me how much it is present.

Overall, I miss it very little which is a surprise to me. Not that I wouldn't like a glass of wine on Friday night after a long week. But hey, we are in the south. Home of the sweet tea. I guess that will have to do for now!

Cheers!

No comments: