9.11.2007

Enough time?

I was talking with a friend recently, both on the phone and on email. During our talks, it came up that time was "whipping" by us for all that we want to do. I had to stop and wonder, do we have enough time? If I live to be a hundred and I am healthy for those years, will it be enough to accomplish all that I want to get out of life? Am I on par if my life is already a third over? Do other people have these thoughts? I mean, I have traveled extensively in the US (My toes have set foot in 43 states) and even traveled outside the country a little. But I want to go EVERYWHERE! Okay, maybe I could cross off the pleasure tour of Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Humanitarian voyages are on the list, such as building schools in Mexico or working in a clinic in Africa. Of course my fancier tastes could take the QE II around the globe (can If only I had 75K I didn't know what to do with!)

I have worked in 18 different places as an OT in under 6 years. I will never be that person that stays with one company her whole career. Couldn't be if I wanted to. But I wonder, what would that be like? Doing the same job every day my entire adult life. Is it rewarding or mindnumbing? I will never know as I get bored with a place after a couple of months. I also generally have major conflicts with the bureaucratic nightmares I usually walk into. And I am not even sure I know what Bureaucratic means!
Since I went to college, the longest I have lived in one place was a year and two months. Our average length of stay in a place is 6 months. That is over 11 years of moving every few months. Normal people don't do this, yet I find myself wanting to live in other places. I like traveling to a place and actually living there, finding out all of its secret nooks and crannies.
I have run a marathon and am training for another. I thought twice about doing a second one since I have already done one but running is fun for me because I can do it. The loss of vision in my eye limits me from tennis, volleyball, frisbee, basketball, etc. Maybe that is why I try to do so many other things.
Am I bragging here? I don't think so. I have gone through some near death experiences in my life with cancer when I was young and a car accident at age 18. Am I just making up for lost time? Will it ever be enough? Will I hit a level of doing new things where I will just say ENOUGH! and do one thing for the rest of my life? Will one thing come along that I will WANT to do for my remaining days?

At any rate, I am on to the next goals. Dave has written his book of poems and I have helped him with writing a second book about his survival with cancer (due out soon!). Personally, my own books are ready to bust out of me. My latest aspirations are to author a children's book that aims at helping kids cope with a classmate who has cancer and about my experiences with having a facial...how shall we call it...difference. That experience in itself is an experience that I have had for the last twelve years that I didn't ask for but I am not sorry it happened.
I guess life is long enough for us to choose our experiences and for some experiences to choose us. Trust me, eventually they will find you, if they haven't already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. So many questions, so little time.

Anonymous said...

That comment was from WOW